Friday, November 09, 2007

My book club

As I said, probably the best thing about being in hospital was having time to read, something in short supply at home. I read 8 novels (8! O bliss), of varying quality. Of these, I strongly recommend:

The Road, by Cormack McCarthy

Utterly bleak and totally without hope but as always beautifully written and absolutely compelling. Stayed up late to read it in one sitting.

Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier

You’ve probably seen the film, unlike me, but the book is great: beautiful, understated, pretty bleak but full of hope and redemption.

Sacred Games, by Vikram Chandra

A massive, rollicking, hugely entertaining romp through present-day Mumbai: gangsters, cops, actresses, prostitutes, gurus, it’s got it all, and it’s very well written to boot. Not one for those who don’t like 3 inch spines and small print.

Suite Française, by Irene Nemirovsky

An exceptional classic, dealing with a period of French history I had never really engaged with, that draws you into each private drama, and brings home the tragedy of the author’s own untimely death. I desperately wanted to know how it was all going to turn out.

Have only read a quarter of a Guardian Weekly since I got back.


3 Comments:

At 1:59 am, Blogger Marie said...

I've just finished Sacred Games, which took me two whole months... and I wish I was still reading it! It just gets better and better.

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger Nik said...

I trust your recommendations so much that I've just bought the Chandra book and Suite Francaise on ebay for a combined total of 5 quid...

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Bargain! But with twins, when do you find time to read?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home