Monday, August 10, 2009

Pemba Open 2009

After last year's roaring success, Il Pirata hosted the second Pemba Open kite-surfing competition two week-ends ago. Much larger and with more on offer than last time, even the less than ideal wind conditions (after howling gales for 2 weeks the winds dropped to the point of no kiting on day 3 of teh competition) were not enough to dampen the ethusiasm of the crowd and the competitors. Wake-boarding substituted kite-surfing when the wind dropped and Paulo as DJ and MC ran a series of silly competitions to hand out six-packs of cider courtesy of a sponsor. Music on the beach, grilled food, bar and coffee shop, South African Sport TV and a local station and an excellent turn-out in the crowd all contributed to atmosphere which was pure Pemba.

A few pics (courtesy of my colleague Dave Reynolds) to give you an idea of what we were up to:

2 Comments:

At 4:00 am, Blogger Alexandre Tinoco said...

Hi Rebecca,
My name is Mirella and I would like to ask you some questions about Mozambique as my husband and I are planning to move there next February.
We're Brazilians, currently living in NY as I got a job at the United Nations, but we're desperately trying to move out of this crazy city.
I couldn't find your email address (and I'm not sure if you'd like to be bothered by some questions), so if you don't mind giving me your email address, mine is mirella_rj@yahoo.com.
Obrigada! :)

 
At 9:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca, Claire Smith (from Harthan '91 Bryanston School) here! Couldn't find you on facebook but I found you via Stitt's blog. Glad to see you looking so well in your photos - your life sounds exciting too and your boys look adorable. I'm married with three children and I run a private tuition company. Claire (now Audritt) x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home